Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Papa Louie"


A couple of weeks ago I stood at my Grandfather's bedside as he passed into eternity with Jesus. He had been suffering from breathing complications after a recent heart surgery. "Papa Louie"(pictured left), as my daughter Emmy lovingly called him, was a really simple guy who loved to talk about cars, my travels, and his grandchildren. He was a man of many words, few of them food for thought. We adored his simplicity and never questioned his love. I'll miss him greatly.

If you'd like to hear some of the songs I chose for his viewing and funeral, I published an "imix" at itunes named "Funeral for Grandpa"


Louis G. Hirth, 75, of Toledo, went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday, June 25, 2008, from The Toledo Hospital. The oldest son of Louis W. and Luella F. (Brown) Hirth, he was born on July 7, 1932, in South Toledo, where he spent most of his life. He was a veteran of the US Air Force and it was while serving in the military that he met the love of his life, his wife of 50 years, Clara, who preceded him in death on March 17, 2005. Louis owned and managed Hirth's Sohio, located on the corner of Arlington and Woodsdale, during the late 60's and early 70's, with his father who preceded him in death in 1985. He had previously managed the Sohio station on Spencer Ave. He loved cars and he enjoyed collecting scale model vehicles. He was a generous and loving father, grandfather, great-grand-father and brother, who will be greatly missed by family and friends. He attended Calvary Assembly of God for the past 15 years. Survivors include daughters, Gail (Gary) Hammitt, Etta Hirth of Enterprise, AL, Pam (Jon) Hughes; grandchildren, Aaron (Tara) Hammitt, Matthew (Sarah) Hammitt, Yasmenda (Jay) Neal and Solomon Hughes; great-grandchildren, Ian, Ella, Emmy and Claire Hammitt, and James Fordham Jr.; sisters, Laura (Russell) Watters of Lakeside, CA, Carole Curtiss and brother, Daryl Hirth; as well as many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; wife; older sister, Delores Floro, and younger brothers, Larry and Jerry Hirth.

11 comments:

B.J. said...

So sorry about that I'll be praying for your family .But how do you get to the " imix " on Itunes

Unknown said...

Matt, I am very sorry for your loss. I'll continue to pray for you and your family. It's wonderful that Emmy was able to meet him and get to know him. I wish that my boys could have met my grandfather. I tell them stories about "Great Rah-Rah" nearly every night. Keep his legacy alive. Your kids will appreciate it.

Rockermom said...

Hi sweetie

Thanks so much for this blog and the pic. What an amazing legacy he left, for the love and peace that only God can give is so evident in you and am sure in the rest of the family. I was blessed at Creation when you mentioned of his home-going how God had helped your mom during this painful time and making difficult decisions.

May God continue to strenghten and comfort the whole family.

Have a wonderful summer and please post pics of the girls....

Be blessed!

Unknown said...

Our deepest sympathy for your family's loss!

Lisa & Craig

Eric Sapien said...

Matt,
Sorry for you loss. Sounds like he is a great man. Did you guys make it to In-N-Out when you were in Bakersfield for the 4th? We went the other day and my two boys were thrilled to know that I took you guys there the last time you were in Visalia. Hope to have you guys back soon! Take Care.

Cassie said...

I'm sorry about that. I heard about him passing at the concert in toldeo, he sounds like an awesome guy. It also sounds like he was very blessed to have you as a grandson. I hope the family is doing well! God bless.

Tom Willoughby said...

Matt, you probably don't remember me; but I'm the Missouri pastor you keep running into at FBC Raytown and Crossover Music Fest in Camdenton.
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds a lot like my father-in-law we lost a few years ago. Not what you'd call a deep theologian by any respect. He typically only talked about the weather and fishing, but did I ever learn about life, love, simplicity and integrity from him. I'm sometimes amazed at how easy it is to become consumed by non-essentials. When I think of him, I remember that life's not so much about what you do, but who you are.
I pray God will comfort your family in the days ahead.

Unknown said...

sorry about that my friend...

I`m Miguel Angel and I come from Chile... I love Sanctus Real cause` it has inspired me to create my own music... I`m a singer and I`m christian too...
I like the way you sing and I`d like to create a kind of band like yours someday and share the stage with you...

God bless u matt...

(mail me if you read this... areliugavip@gmail.com)

Oogaboogallama said...

hey

sorry for your loss ay, just wanted to say me and my family saw you guys at creation north west when we were in the states. Thought you were awesome. Love your music, its the best pick-me-up music in the world! i love it! thankyou for everything you guys do and sacrifice to get it to us. hugs.

kristy- the new zealander, i got autographs. you probably dont remember me tho. I dont know brett and jermaine. sorry.

Oogaboogallama said...

hey

sorry for your loss ay, just wanted to say me and my family saw you guys at creation north west when we were in the states. Thought you were awesome. Love your music, its the best pick-me-up music in the world! i love it! thankyou for everything you guys do and sacrifice to get it to us. hugs.

kristy- the new zealander, i got autographs. you probably dont remember me tho. I dont know brett and jermaine. sorry.

Cassie said...

Hey Matt, been wondering how you've been doing. How are the ladies of the family?? Anywho-hope all is well, your family are in my prayers, God is smiling over all of you, he wants you to know that. :)