Monday, March 17, 2008

Losing My Voice, Or Finding It?



Over the past week, I’ve been the road with the band. We are on tour with Third Day and it’s been a great experience. The first few nights of the tour we’re a little challenging for me because I was having problems with my throat. I’m not really sure what the problem is, but it started with a cough. My throat has been tense and it’s hard to get those high notes. I’ve been doing my warm-ups, eating and drinking the right things, and caring for my voice, but it just doesn’t feel free. After two weeks, it’s pretty much back to normal, but not quite. Send up a prayer for me.


As far as being on the road with Third Day, it’s been great. They are such a good live band. I learn a lot from watching those guys. My favorite part, the thing I will look forward to every night, is singing “Handle With Care” by The Traveling Wilburys with Third Day, Josh from Decemberadio, and Dave from Revive. We’ve only done it one night so far, but it went really well.

By the title of this post, you probably thought I was getting to something profound. Sorry if I let you down. I think it’s time to find a coffee shop in St. Louis. If you see me out there, come say hello.

8 comments:

andra said...

Hey! Hope you'll get better soon. You, guys, are always in my prayers!

Did you find a coffee shop? Cause if you did...I'll come and say hello. Wait there. I'm comin'...

p.s. it might take a few days till i get there...

Jaime said...

I'll be praying for you! ;)

What were you doing in St. Louis? Just passing through, I guess?

I was hoping that we'd get a Third Day/Sanctus Real concert here, but I guess that won't be happening. :( Maybe you could drop a hint to whoever it is that's in charge of that stuff, huh? ;)

Unknown said...

Hey Matt, I'll be praying for you. I try to pray for you guys each night. Enjoy the evening off. You deserve it.

Keeli4Jesus said...

I'll be sure to include you in my prayers tonight, Matt! I'm a singer myself, and I know what you mean. I went to the doctor not to long ago for my voice, and he suggested doing jaw stretches (as weird as that sounds). You look funny doing it, as you are making weird faces, but it really helps stretch the muscles in your throat and face, and it allows you to hit high notes with ease. Also, try gargling with warm salt water before and after each concert. I will most definitely pray for you though.
Sleep well. God Bless you.
~Keeli

Laurie Mattson said...

Matt, your band was wonderful and high octane when in Duluth on Friday night! I was thoroughly impressed with your vocals, and the whole mix. The sound person must be great, becasue of all the bands there that night, I could hear your vocals the clearest, (and the words mean the most in Christian music, as we know). And each musician was heard. Loved your heart and soul. "REAL" fits you guys to a tee. Thankyou for a super concert, good luck with baby girl no#2, and GOD BLESS YOU ALL> come back anytime. Laurie Mattson lnature5126@aol.com

Rhonda said...

We caught you in Decatur and really "caught" you in Columbus. Both nights were great, even with the microphone issues, and your cold. You can't control those things, and it takes a trooper to go out and sing when you are not 100%. Glad you are felling better now. We picked up some CD's and have been mistening ever since. Third Day will always be my first love, but I think you guys are great, and hope to catch you at another show in the future. Can't believe we missed Handle With Care? That's one of my favorites.

Allison said...

Matt, I am so glad that you guys were able to make it to Louisiana!
Please come back soon!!!

Cassie said...

Prayers are going on up!